Saturday, May 13, 2006

Bryan Adams - Feels So Wrong


I always scrutinize lyrics as I listen to the radio. There are many songs you hear that you just know are wrong, because they don't hide it. Bryan Adams is one that I think many people gloss over. He sings these wonderful love ballads that make us feel all lovey dovey, or he takes us back to our youth and our wilder days. I was a big fan in my teens and because he is Canadian you cannot help but hear at least two or three of his songs on the radio each day (thank you CRTC).

The more intently you listen to his lyrics, and strain them through your moral filter you start to hear the real ugliness that he is preaching. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be married to Byran Adams, I am assuming he is married. But how could any woman trust a man who writes lyrics like in this song:

Run To You

She says her love for me could never die
But that'd change if she ever found out about you and I

Oh - but her love is cold
It wouldn't hurt her if she didn't know, cause...

When it gets too much
I need to feel your touch

I'm gonna run to you

Bryan sings a lot about is what is right and wrong. He does in most cases know that what he is doing is "wrong" which is a start I guess, but this knowledge does not sway him as he chooses what feels right (usually sex), even though he knows it is wrong.

Here are some of the more extreme examples of that:

Cloud No 9

"well it's a long way up and we won't come down tonight
well it may be wrong but baby it sure feels right"

Run to you

"I'm gonna run to you
Cause when the feelin's right I'm gonna run all night
I'm gonna run to you"

Cuts like a knife

"Yeah! It cuts like a knife
Oh, but it feels so right"

The Best Of Me

"I may not always know what's right
But i know I want you here tonight"

There will never be another tonight

"There will never be another tonight
I don't care if it's wrong or right"

My goodness man!!! Can you sing about anything else??? These are just a few more blatent examples, most of his songs are littered with these same themes.

Just like a painting expresses the true heart of the painter we can only assume that these lyrics reflect the true heart of Bryan Adams. If this is the case I would guess that he has never known what true love is outside of satisfying his own lust.

My point here is not to slam any particular individual, but to encourage you to hear the heart of the artist and what he/she is really preaching. Some other individuals I can think of that have these same subtleties in their lyrics are Sarah McLaughlin and Jan Arden.

I don't recommend secular music in general, but it seems pretty hard to avoid at times.

5 comments:

Trail Rider said...

good post. I think it is important to expose the real meaning behind what we are bobbing our heads to.
Alot of poeple including myself, say, "well, i like the beat..."
But those messages are going into our hearts.

Nin said...

one song that's coming to me is one I heard on one of my rave cd's, he must have done some dance version or remake or something.

"don't give up, you know it's true, you gotta do what you wanna do, oh yeah"

I guess those are the words that ravers nees to hear, as they're pumping drugs into their system.

steve said...

Define secular music. I want specific names of artists.

Godson Gera said...

Well when i was searching for morality behind his lyrics, i found this blog these are the keywrods that i've serched for in google.

cloud #9 bryan adams meaning

Because when i was listening to cloud #9 i found the backgroud story of the song is saying some thing else talking of some extramrital relation. First i wanted see a video of it but, i got this blog testifying the things behind the songs of BA. Songs are nice huh what to do the meaning is terrible. How good it be if he can avoid such themes in songs.

Anonymous said...

How about I'LL ALWAYS BE RIGHT THERE what would you say the meaning is?

Unqualified To Drive\Live

Were you driving today? Try and think of your drive to work or wherever you were going and ask yourself how aware were you of your driv...