Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Grieving Caleb

Grieving is a terribly confusing thing. I don't know why this is coming up a year and a half later but it is along with all this other stuff. My feelings are so jumbled I don't know where to start. One thing I know is that I have a lot of unresolved anger towards "the system". Which kind of sucks because the system is a nameless, faceless thing that has no emotion and certainly no remorse.
For nine years of our lives with Caleb the system was there for us with Caleb, we are honestly so lucky how we live in a province that has so much support for those with a disability or a disabled child. But I was not prepared for how we would get treated once Caleb was no longer with us. It was like a band aid getting ripped off in one stroke, taking the hair and scab with it. I was nice to have those agencies to support us, the thing about support though is that when you have somebody rely on it the removal needs to be gradual. Sarah and I have talked about how we felt like Caleb looked after our family and I think that this is why we felt like that.
This last week Sarah brought home Caleb's wheel chair and had it in our living room. She never told me that she did this and I came home from work and there is was, it actually scared me to the point of having a small anxiety attack. I was stunned for a short amount of time and asked her why. Honestly I was angry, not so much at Sarah from bringing it home but for the rush of emotions and memories that flooded in. The kids see it like a toy and they have all taken turns sitting in Caleb's chair, it scares me to see them in the chair, especially if they sit still like Caleb did.

4 comments:

Trail Rider said...

I'm really sorry for bringing it home and not telling you. Honestly, I was so wrapped up in my own emotions of needed it home and getting here, that I didn't think to ask you.

Nin said...

we are for you

THACI said...

I heard a sermon last week about Jacob and the angel (Genesis) and how Jacob had faith. Adn he only had to wrestle an Angel for a night and deal with a broken hip to develop that solid faith.

Man, you have been walking a tough walk. Remember to ask for help when you need it. I am not sure but if your doctor recommends councilling it might be covered.

Do some research on accute grief/stress syndrome. Grief and stress walk hand in hand and manifest themselves in many different ways.

Hang in there and keep fighting for what is yours as the heir of christ. Peace, love, joy.

Unknown said...

I care and will not stop praying for you.

Unqualified To Drive\Live

Were you driving today? Try and think of your drive to work or wherever you were going and ask yourself how aware were you of your driv...