Monday, March 27, 2006

Good Bye


Grandpa's funeral was this last Friday, I was the best funeral I have ever been to (as far as funerals' go). The theme of the funeral was "A Godly Heritage". My Uncle said it best when he said "if anybody didn't know the Lord before this funeral, they did by the time it was over". My Uncle, my Mom, myself and Noah all had the chance to tesify as to how our lives were changed because Grandpa brought Jesus to our family.

This is what Noah said:

Thank you for loving us and asking Jesus into your heart. I have Jesus in my heart because of you. You are so special to me. I love you. I am glad you will have lots of energy in heaven. And thank you for all the smarties.


The night before the funeral I was up untill 1AM trying to write what I wanted to say. Originally I was just going to read what I wrote in my "Tribute To A Goldy Man" blog, but something didn't feel right. I was constantly praying while trying to write my speech and honestly I was starting to get a little upset. When I finally gave up I had calmed down a bit, I stated by faith that God must have something else for me to say and went to bed.

The moment I layed down the following song came into my head:

I dreamed I went to heaven
And you were there with me;
We walked upon the streets of gold
Beside the crystal sea.
We heard the angels singing
Then someone called your name.
We turned and saw a young man running
And he was smiling as he came.

And he said, "Friend you may not know me now."
And then he said, "But wait,
You used to teach my Sunday School
When I was only eight.
And every week you would say a prayer
Before the class would start.
And one day when you said that prayer,
I asked Jesus in my heart."

Then another man stood before you
And said, "Remember the time
A missionary came to your church
And his pictures made you cry.
You didn't have much money,
But you gave it anyway.
Jesus took the gift you gave
And that's why I'm here today."

One by one they came
Far as the eye could see.
Each life somehow touched
By your generosity.
Little things that you had done,
Sacrifices made,
Unnoticed on the earth
In heaven, now proclaimed.

And I know up in heaven
You're not supposed to cry
But I am almost sure
There were tears in your eyes.
As Jesus took your hand
And you stood before the Lord.
He said, "My child, look around you.
Great is your reward."

Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am so glad you gave.

Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord.
I am so glad you gave.

This song called "Thank You" was written by Ray Boltz and seemed to sum up exactley what I wanted to say. So I read the lyrics. I made it up to the last verse that starts with "I know up in heaven you are not supposed to cry" and the tears started flowing.

I finished off my speech with the following:

This song really sums up what I wanted to say to pay tribute to one of the most special men in my life. I stand before you a rich man, as I have received and inheritance far greater than any material possession. My inheritance will not tarnish or fade, in fact it will last beyond the end of time.
My Grandpa forged a new path the day he gave his life to the Lord. By his decision he started a Godly heritage and gave the gift of eternal life through the saving grace of Jesus Christ to me and my children.

We had a lunch after the funeral and then just the immediate family went out to the gravesite. We sang "Great is thy faithfulness" and then lower his body into the ground. It could not have been more beautiful.

I hope that the day I pass from this world, that the things that were said of my Grandpa can be said about me. You know that really puts your life into perspective when you think about what would be said about you at your funeral if you died today. Would your memory be of someone who struggled through life or someone who lived every day for their Lord and savior.

2 comments:

Trail Rider said...

I love the heritage that God has brought me into.
I love hearing your heart
Thank you for sharing your grandpa with us.

Nin said...

wow.......

Unqualified To Drive\Live

Were you driving today? Try and think of your drive to work or wherever you were going and ask yourself how aware were you of your driv...