Sunday, March 19, 2006

Tribute To A Godly Man

I would like to pay homage where homage is due, to a Godly man and loving Grandfather. This is my Grandpa, Ernest.

Ernest or Ernie as he was known to most was born in 1913 in Osler, SK. He grew up in a very large family with 3 brothers and two sisters.

He didn't grow up in a very good home, his father was a cruel man who was in constant bondage to alcoholism.



<- Ernie at top left and family



You will never read about my Grandpa in any news paper or history book, his memory will fade from this world with little notice.

He raised my Mom and her two brothers.


<- Bonnie, Rodney & Gerry





He will never be noted for accomplishing anything great in the eyes of the world. He made a meager living as a painter and for many years he struggled just to get by.

There were many things he didn't do in life and his contributions to society may seem small but in my life he was a giant. In fact he gave me the greatest thing anybody could have given me, eternal life.





My Grandpa was a very quiet man, to say that he was a man of few words is an understatement. It is not what he said, but what he did that made the difference.

Ernie found Jesus through a traveling evangelist and a tent revival meeting that came to his town when he was a young man. He wasn't sure why he felt called to the meeting but he knew something was missing in his life. He found it easy to give up smoking and drinking and never touched either again after that point.





I don't think he could have realized what he started when he asked Jesus into his life, nor the impact that it would have. It was that day that he started a Godly heritage.

Ernie constantly read God's word and for most of his life woke up to read his "Daily Bread" devotional and pray for wisdom to guide his family. He raised three kids and led them in daily devotions and prayer and they too came to the saving knowledge of Christ.

Ernie's children eventually got married and had kids, and they too have joined the spiritual heritage, which includes myself and my sister and cousins. And here I am, a man who's life has been changed because my Grandpa was obedient and listened to the calling Jesus.



At a time when I was lost and doubting everything in my life I had my Grandpa as my solid rock. Again it wasn't what he said, he never sat down and had a heart-heart with me, it was what he modeled. It was then that I decided that I wanted to be like my Grandpa.

<- Grandpa & Noah

I know that my Grandpa is going to have a huge place in the kingdom of God by what he started. Generation after generation his God loving descendants will reap the benefits.

I never knew my Grandpa to ever be in good health, but particularly for the last couple years he has been hampered by constant medical problems. He said many times that he wishes God would just take him home. Well this last Friday his health took a turn for the worse and as I write this blog he is slowly dying in a hospital bed.





Grandpa, be at peace, your work here is done. Go, be with Jesus and rest, good and faithful servant. Thank you for saving my life, I love you.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

That was so touching! Thank you for sharing, it brought tears to my eyes!

Trail Rider said...

Ernest Rostek passed away early this morning at 10:00am

He was surrounded by loving family singing "you are standing on holy ground" while he took his last breath

You are forever loved grandpa. Thank you for unconditionally loving me. For accepting me right from the start. Your desire for Jesus will echo through this home for years to come....
I love you....
:**(
:**)

Crystal said...

my thoughts and prayers are with you.....He left you an amazing legacy! God is so good!

Nin said...

Was so glad to have met him. He was always so full of peace and rest. Something many of us forget to soak up. We will miss him.

CWG said...

Love ya man. Here for you. At least you have the expectation of seeing him again. That is amazing. You have honored him through this post.

Unqualified To Drive\Live

Were you driving today? Try and think of your drive to work or wherever you were going and ask yourself how aware were you of your driv...