Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Will they ever get it?

I ponder often about a situation that came up in our church body. Without getting into the details, it was a situation where two people had gotten up to their eyeballs in sin. And though the church offered and did what they could to help them see their sin and get out of it, the sin itself blinded them. And rather than see the error of their ways, they decided to take offence and walk away.

This reminds me of a situation where a brother pointed out some sin in my life. Because I knew that the sin was sin, I could say nothing about it. So I did what any rebellious Christian would do, I decided to take offence to the way that he approached me, and I severed my relationship with him. Well that festered under the surface and produced all kinds of grossness in my life. The day I repented in tears to him was the day I was really set free.

I have never been in a church where somebody would actually be asked to leave. Would I be able to love somebody that much that I would be willing to face rejection myself so that this person might somehow be set free from their sin? I know that the natural me would want to smooth things over, make excuses for them and just say that the love of Jesus is enough. What kind of love is that?

The situation brought out issues that I have with people involved, and how I need to forgive even though there is no repentance only selfishness. My heart aches for the people that got hurt in the process, for them there can be no repentance that could ever heal their pain.

So will they ever get it? I hope so, otherwise we will be just one of the many obstacles they view in their rear view mirror of life. As they careen from place to place hoping that somehow the next church may have the answer as to how stop the hurt of a life of sin and a lack of repentance.

2 comments:

andrew + camille said...

i too have been thinking of this a lot.
it's a difficult thing, to be called on your sin. we as modern day christians, seem to get easily offended by correction. myself included!!
all i can say is that i love your heart and maturity. i love your wife's heart too. you guys encourage me ....

Trail Rider said...

The more I grow, the more I get to know my God, the more I realize that He is more than determined OUT OF LOVE to GET RID OF SIN. That is not a smooth process, considering our human nature is so full of pride, self protection and excuses.

He LOVES us so much, that He is willing, through the body, to unveil our eyes (as painful as He knows that is for us) but he'd rather us feel abit of pain, a bit uncomfortable, get a bit humiliated, than to have us perish in the flames of hell.

I'm thankful for a God like that. As a parent, I know that smoothing over bad habits, patterns that are forming is a DANGEROUS ROAD TO LET THEM WALK DOWN. And I will be held accountable for it!

Accountability.....
Something I have grown to love. for sure not when a sin is being pointed out in my life (and it's all happened to us, and if it hasn't, we may not be walking with the right friends!!!) at the time, I hate it, my flesh squirms and spits....but as God restores a heart that repents, that is where you are set free.

The whole situation has stirred up the fear of the Lord. Our Lord is holy and he calls us to be holy. He hates sin. I pray I am postured and continually press toward the high calling in Jesus.....what a walk!

Thanks Joe for sharing this.

Unqualified To Drive\Live

Were you driving today? Try and think of your drive to work or wherever you were going and ask yourself how aware were you of your driv...