Saturday, September 10, 2005

Death

We have been learning a lot about death in the last while. When I am talking about this I am not meaning a physical death, I am speaking about a spiritual death. Death to yourself, your dreams, your plans, your fears, your flesh. It is only if we experience death that we can experience resurrection power.
Jesus calls us to this in Mark 8:34 And he called to him the multitude with his disciples, and said to them, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me".

Why would Jesus ask us to pick up our cross? What is the cross? The cross is where death and resurrection occur. Every day I need to deny myself and all my plans, no matter how great they are, no matter how "godly" they sound.

If I believe that God is God then I will have faith that He has a greater plan for my life then I do or ever could.

He may lead us to walk out of security and what is familiar to us walk into the unknown. If I believe that He said He will never let me fall then I just may have jump.

Last weekend I made the decision to close the doors on Compass Computer Systems, which is the business that I have been running for the last five years. This has been the greatest death walk that I have had to face to date. If I had been obedient I would have done this sooner but due to other people and circumstances I lost my courage and continued on in the land of the familiar.

Bruce Wilkinson wrote a really neat book called "The Dream Giver". This book follows the life of a character named Ordinary who one night was visited by the Dream Giver and given a dream. But his dream meant that he must leave his homeland of Familiar and venture into the unknown. In the quest of his dream he meets much adversity and has to battle with all his fears. I now understand where Ordinary was going.

This was a hard week for me, I had to confront fears and let down people that I never wanted to disappoint. And to be honest I really don't know where I am going next. I have five people I need to look after in my family and to walk away from something without knowing where the next stop is sounds pretty foolish. Yesterday I was scared and fear had its grip on my soul, but today I am starting to get a little excited. Just look at what God can do now.

Even the sky is not God's limit.

3 comments:

Nin said...

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning it's shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.................
Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees! Make level paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled but rather healed!"

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your company. Unemployment is a scary place to be.
But trust in God. He opens doors that you would never ever expect. I just want to encourage you as you walk in faith.

The mant times unemployed
jlo

Moose said...

You are walkin' the water bro, outta the boat and heading to Jesus man. I wish I had that kind of Courage to get outta the boat. I know I am going to have to. You are on the right path bro, in the palm of the very hand that placed creation into place. You cannot go wrong there. Bless ya bro. -Moose

Unqualified To Drive\Live

Were you driving today? Try and think of your drive to work or wherever you were going and ask yourself how aware were you of your driv...