Monday, August 15, 2005

Identity & Vision


I had coffee this morning with a very wise friend. We talked a little about some of the struggles I have had as an entrepreneur and as a family man, both of which boil down to leadership.
I have really struggled with this area which God keeps bringing me back to. He is not going let up on this one with me because it just seems like I don't get it.
Vision is defined by Dictionary.com as - Unusual competence in discernment or perception; intelligent foresight: a leader of vision.
Vision also refers to our physical eyes and how well we can see. A leader of vison should be able to see the past and present and learn from mistakes and making adjustments in your course to avoid making those same mistakes.
Another definition I just love is the definition of insanity - attempting the same thing with the same variables and expecting different results. Which is what I have been doing. So basically I am in insane and not a visionary.
Well how many men out there can say that they have a solid plan for their family and or business? I would guess that these days not many. Many have fallen into the Homer Simpson mode of manhood which is basically like cruise control on your car. Set your speed and let it go and if you fall asleep at the wheel oh well. No wonder our women have seen it there place to lead our families.
When a person starts to try to formulate a vision for the future you quickly find out where your self worth is at. Are you a cup half full or empty kind of guy?

The Bible says this about me (am you!)

I am accepted...

John 1:12 - I am God's child.
John 15:15 - As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1 - I have been justified.
1 Corinthians 6:17 - I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - I have been bought with a price and I belong to God.
1 Corinthians 12:27 - I am a member of Christ's body.
Ephesians 1:3-8 - I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.
Colossians 1:13-14 - I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.
Colossians 2:9-10 - I am complete in Christ.
Hebrews 4:14-16 - I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ.

I am secure...


Romans 8:1-2 - I am free from condemnation.
Romans 8:28 - I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.
Romans 8:31-39 - I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22 - I have been established, anointed and sealed by God.
Colossians 3:1-4 - I am hidden with Christ in God.
Philippians 1:6 - I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.
Philippians 3:20 - I am a citizen of heaven.
2 Timothy 1:7 - I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
1 John 5:18 - I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me.

I am significant...


John 15:5 - I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life.
John 15:16 - I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.
1 Corinthians 3:16 - I am God's temple.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 - I am a minister of reconciliation for God.
Ephesians 2:6 - I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm.
Ephesians 2:10 - I am God's workmanship.
Ephesians 3:12 - I may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

What kind of vision could I have for my life if I really believed these things. I am not just one insignificant human wondering around this earth until I die. I am empowered by the power that created this universe. That’s like an ant being hooked up to the energy source for a city the size of New York.

I love seeing people have gotten this. They just know that they know that they know their identity in Christ. They are who God has created them to be and they don't care what the world thinks of them. There are the "just be'ers". Half the world hates the, the other half wants what they have even though they don't know what that is.

Questions to ponder

So how can you have vision if you have not yet accepted your identity? Better question is where are you getting your identity from right now? Your friends? Your position in your job? Your role in your family? Your intellect?

Ask yourself if you were to strip all those things away, would you be naked and ashamed or clothed in a robe of righteousness?

4 comments:

Nin said...

Holy cow! Go away, you little advertisement creatures!
I too, enjoyed it. It's nice to be reminded of our identy in Him. I hope I'd be clothed in a robe of righteousness....

Trail Rider said...

Wow that was bad, 5 spams in just a couple hours.

Well thanks for your comments, I appreciate you guys reading.

Trail Rider said...

I love your heart! I pray I'm who I need to be for you through all the changes of life....
(hugs)

Moose said...

Hey bro. Good stuff. Yes our identity is out of this world almost literally :) I have the same verses from Neil Anderson beside my bed to affirm every morning when I get up. It is a good thing to reaffirm every day our position in Christ. Someone said who we think we are determines who we are going to be. God Love ya bro.

Unqualified To Drive\Live

Were you driving today? Try and think of your drive to work or wherever you were going and ask yourself how aware were you of your driv...